It’s been a busy and exciting past few weeks in the Atkinson home! Lot’s of projects started and a few of them have actually been finished! We’ve done a lot of moving in our stuff, painting, and looking at boxes wishing they would all unpack themselves. Celebrating Wes’ birthday, having friends over to check out the place and watch Morgan paint, packing as soon as we unpacked because Disney was calling!!!, and getting back home and starting to settle into this new cozy space that is OURS!
Are you as dizzy reading that as I am typing it? SHEESH. So…. maybe in hindsight we bit off a whole lot but hey, at least we had a vacation to look forward to in the midst of the madness! More on the amazing-ness that was our disney vacation later, but in the meantime I am SO INCREDIBLY EXCITED to announce that Phase One of our kitchen makeover is complete!!!! AHHH! The room already feels much more “us” and a lot less “dark, dungeon of food-room” and for that I am SO very thankful!
You guys ready for this? Here’s the before-
[Note that awesome lighting fixture above where our table should be. Wes and I CAN NOT STAND it, but everyone that comes over tends to talk about how it’s so “cute”. Are they crazy or are we? Let us know in the comments section!
Also, can we talk about those SWEET rose gold circa LONG TIME AGO light switch plates? So stylish.
Honestly, I can even remember the kitchen looking like that anymore. It’s SO DIFFERENT now!
So, here’s what we’ve done in PHASE I:
-Painted beadboard in dining area
-Painted backsplash area/all walls in kitchen
-Removed cubby on the wall in the dining area.
-Took down the valance in kitchen window (Still trying to decide if we want to replace this or keep it open)
-Removed Old light switch plates and replace with newer, more modern versions.
-Painted Kitchen Cabinets
And hey, that’s what this post is really about right? So let’s get to the cabinet details!
First off, We started by removing all the cabinet doors and putting them all in my office which became the sanding spot. We really lucked out because when these were originally installed numbers were place both on the hardware of each door as well as the actual cabinet it belonged to, so we didn’t have to do any numbering- however, if yours don’t come with this feature I STRONGLY suggest coming up with a way to keep them straight. If not, they’ll never fit right again!
My little brother Bryce actually helped sand 1 and a half of these, so I’m giving credit where credit is due. No matter how big or small ;0) First, I used an 80 grit sandpaper to really wear down the wood grain, followed by a 150 grit to help smooth it all out. Yes- That is a LOT of sanding. We did the doors first, and then moved on to the cabinets.
After making our way through the sanding process (lets be real, it took a whole day just to sand and I was about ready to fall over from that workout!) we moved on to the priming process. We used KILLZ, which I got at Lowes. I actually started the process with a quart I had picked up for our front door project (which I’ll be showing soon!), but If I were starting fresh, I would totally have gone with a gallon so I didn’t have to go back and get more later!
These photos are after TWO coats of KILLZ, again- a gallon would have been better!
After two coats I realized by coverage was pretty good (although not perfect) but I would probably be just fine as long as I did two coats of paint as well, which I was planning on doing anyways! So after one coat or Killz, 4 hours of drying time, a second coat of Killz and a good nights sleep I got up and went at it again, this time with REAL paint!
For the actual paint we used a gallon of Sherwin Williams “true white” paint. It’s what was recommended to me and I have to say I am super happy with it. We also bought a couple of cabinet rollers at Lowe’s and those turned out to be a real life saver! As for the paint’s finish we used a step above eggshell to make it easy to clean but still give it that “flat” look we love so much!
It was the night before we left for vacation and I had yet to pack but I was in the kitchen trying my hardest to get all the doors back up! I did end up running out of time, but the moment we walked in the door from Disney I was back at it again, determined to see the finished product RIGHT THEN!
And then…. IT HAPPENED.
As you can see, we opted to leave the two cabinets beside the window open. I’ve always been a HUGE fan of open cabinets but the idea of ALL of them being open was a little much for me. (I’m not into anyone seeing the obscene amounts of tupperware we’ve got.) So we opted to just leave these two open to showcase our “pretty stuff” and make it easier for guests to find their way around the kitchen when they’re over. We LOVE entertaining so this was a big deal for us! In this picture you can see the start of phase II… or maybe III. That’s subway tile! And it’s going up at some point! In the meantime, I’m still recovering from all that rolling and sanding!
Some up-close shots of our open cabinets! Some up-close shots of our open cabinets! And finally that little dining area! The light fixture still stands (at least for now) and the room feels much bigger without that cubby creeping in on the already limited eating space!
We’ve still got a long ways to go in here, but It already feels so much brighter, and refreshing every morning when I make my way to this side of the house! I’m loving where it’s going!
Here’s what we’ve still got to do:
-New flooring (ugh… this stuff has to be a 100 years old)
-Install Crown Molding
– New Appliances
Feel free to leave any questions or comments in the comments section and we’ll get back to ya!