I am really just the most excited about this new year. A fresh start, a new chance… all the super cliche things have got my heat going pitter-patter with excitement! I sat down a few nights ago to put some of the things I want to accomplish this year down on paper. I kept the list short, made sure my heart behind each one was motivated by the right things and proudly read my list off to my husband when I was done. I gave Lara Casey’s method for goal setting this year and I think there is some real merit to the method. I feel much better equipped than ever to tackle a New Year.
So, without further ado here it goes!
My word for 2018 is: S I M P L I C I T Y and I shared a bit about why I chose that word and what it means to me on instagram yesterday.
My word for 2018: simplicity. • I hope to hear it echoed in friendships, in relationships, in the things I say yes or no to, in the day to day, in our home, and in every aspect of my life this year. • Simplicity is FREEDOM from complexity. It’s the absence of luxury, a more natural state. It’s not complicated, it’s authentic and it’s focused. Simplicity doesn’t try to do it all. • 2018, here’s hoping you’re simply amazing. #simplicity #theatkinsonadventures #lifegivinghome #lifegivinggoals #2018 #theatkinsonadventureshomestead
Last year my word was Steadfast and it’s amazing to see the theme of that word laced throughout all the intricacies of 2017. I am anticipating all the ways I will reflect on simplicity come this time next year.
In 2018 I want to cultivate S P A C E for fun, romance, and spontaneous life to happen.
In the past few years, I feel like I have been filling every single nook and cranny with whatever I could shove in. I know that I don’t work well this way, I don’t rest well this way and I am not my best when I am operating from rush, hurry, and cramped space. This year I want to create space. Physically, emotionally, spiritually. I want to leave room for the Lord to sweep in and make himself known. I want moments of quiet, moments of peace and calm, and moments where I can look around and just be grateful for the beauty that surrounds me.
So, here’s my 8 goals for 2018 to help me accomplish that:
- Planned/Purposeful “play breaks” each day with the girls. Put down the broom + dustpan, walk away from the computer and just PLAY.
- Practice speaking ords of love and affirmation over my family every single day & say thank you more. I want my girls to grow up confident of who they are in Christ and for my marriage to grow in love and gratitude.
- Have the kitchen/living room cleaned/picked up each night before going to bed. This will help to create a life giving home.
- 1 date night OUT each month. 1 date night IN per week. I want to keep pursuing and connecting with the love of my life.
- Read through the whole bible chronologically. ( I’m using a plan in the youversion app to do this! JOIN ME!)
- Reach out to/connect with one friend each day. Invest in others, see needs and meet them.
- Look back over each month as it ends. Practice gratitude for what happened within every month and how we grow through every season. LIVE IN GRATITUDE.
- Simplify PHYSICALLY. Get rid of the clutter, create a life giving home.
So… here we go! 2018, be good to us!